CMlyst got it’s first release

Now that Cutelyst is allowing me to write web applications with the tools I like, I can use it to build the kind of web applications I need but am not fine with using the existing ones…

WordPress is a great software, but it’s written in PHP, which is not a language I like, and there are many other software like this written in all sorts of languages but C++/Qt/Cutelyst, so why not?

This first release is a very shine one, it allows for templating, static pages and posts (without comments) and even a RSS feed.

To make things more interesting CMlyst has a separate library, this library abstracts the Content Management part, allowing for different backends to be written, the current one is based on QSettings files, but it’s very easy to write one for SQL, git who knows 😛

I have not measured it speed against WordPress or any other CMS, it probably won’t be fair. But if you are curious I have run it against weighttp and it gives me 4k req/s on a page show, 2,5k req/s on last posts listing and 6,5k on RSS feed delivering, this on a Core2Duo 2.4Ghz, using ~10MB of RAM.

Give it a try!

Download here.

Advertisements
CMlyst got it’s first release

Cutelyst 0.6.0 is released

Cutelyst, the Qt/C++ web framework just got another step into API stabilization.

Since 0.3.0 I’ve been trying to take the most request per second out of it, and because of that I decided to replace most QStrings with QByteArrays, the allocation call is indeed simpler in QByteArray but since most of Qt use QString for strings it started to create a problem rather than solving one. Grantlee didn’t play nice with QByteArray breaking ifequal and in the end some implicit conversions from UTF-8 were triggered.

So on 0.6.0 I’ve replaced all QByteArray usage in favor of QString, and from the benchmarks of hello world the difference is really negligible.

Another big change I actually took today was to change the Headers class that is used on Request and Response, the keys stored there were always in camel-case style and split by dashes, and if you want to get say the User-Agent in a Grantlee template it won’t work as dashes will break the variable name, so now all keys are lower casa and words are separated by underscores. Allowing for {{ ctx.request.headers.user_agent }} in Grantlee templates.

Some changes were also made to make it behave more close to what Catalyst does, and fixed a bunch of bugs from last release.

On my TODO list still need to:
Write a chained dispatcher to allow a more flexible way of dispatching.
Write tutorials, yeah this is boring…
Write QML integration to allow for writing the application logic in QML too!

This last one would allow for something like this:

Application {
    Controller {
        Action {
            attributes: ":Path(hello)"
            onRequest: {
                ctx.response.body = "Hello World!"
            }
        }
    }
}

Download here

Have fun!

Cutelyst 0.6.0 is released