Apper the package/apps manager based on PackageKit has got it’s 1.0.0 version on it’s 10th birthday!
Following the PackageKit-Qt 1.0.1 I’m now doing an Apper release to match it’s API, Apper source code got ported to Qt5/KF5 but not completed and using some kfsupport classes, now it’s code got modernized to C++11, new Qt connect syntax and no code depends on kfsupport, it is also properly using AppStream now, some performance improvements on the package model.
It’s now a stand alone application (no longer integrated in system settings), this was due 99% of it’s usage being by calling the apper executable and this helped fix a crash due it being a KCM module.
Feature wise I plan to add support to fwupd allowing users to update firmwares with a native tool, but time is short and Cutelyst 2 with HTTP 2 support is my top priority now, but help is welcome!
On Valentines day TechEmpower released the results of fifth round of it’s benchmarks tests on web frameworks, it took almost a year since round 14 and I really hope round 16 comes out sooner.
Since this round took a long time and was scheduled to be release many times last year I decided not to update Cutelyst to avoid not having the chance to fix any issues and have broken results. Cutelyst 1.9.0 and Qt 5.9 were used, both had some performance improvements compared to round 14, and thus you can see better results on this round compared to 14, most notably the JSON tests went from 480K request/second to 611K req/s, also due this old Cutelyst release jemalloc was again not used due a bug we had in CMake files that didn’t link against it.
In this round some other frameworks also done their optimizations and a few managed to do better than Cutelyst, even though we were faster in all tests compared to the last round. It might be even related to some OS tuning as most results seemed to went up a bit, however if you put the filter on “FullStack” frameworks Cutelyst is leading in most tests.
TreeFrog framework had results in TechEmpower long before I wrote the tests for Cutelyst, but due errors on TreeFrog tests on last rounds this was the first round where you can compare the results of two Qt Web Frameworks.
For the next round I expect the results to be even better now that we will properly use jemalloc, and our epoll dispatcher got a better implementation, I also plan to use Cutelyst 2 and try increasing some buffers as the servers have plenty of RAM that I didn’t care on using.
If you want to know more about Cutelyst visit https://cutelyst.org/ and give us a Star on GitHub (we are now past 300!!) https://github.com/cutelyst/cutelyst
This last month I decided to do some work on print-manager, it’s code dates back to 2010, so it’s 8 years old now, my last commits where on 2014, after that Jan Grulich did the KF5/Qt5 port and last year I tried to do some improvements but only managed to do a single commit.
Basically it took my attention when I plugged in a printer last year after a distro reinstall and it crashed kded, so last month I took some time to work on it again. Reducing the bug count from 54 to 22, there are still some bugs which I’d like to fix but I don’t have time anymore and they are not easy to reproduce. To highlight some of the improvements:
- Code now uses Qt5 new connection style on every place possible
- Code is very strict on building when casting from ascii, removed deprecated usage of Qt5.9<, use of for range loops and initialize lists
- kded code a bit simpler & safer
- Wayland add-printer icon fixed
- one Plasma startup crash
- and many other bug fixed
So I’m back to working on the stuff I usually do, but if you can there are still some important/valid bugs one could take care, please feel free to try to fix them I’ll do my best in reviewing your changes
UPDATE: print-manager is part of KDE Applications so all of these will be on the upcoming 18.04.